Proceeds from the Spaghetti 100 goes to support Capital City Cyclist’s Kids on Bikes program, where we provide engaging, educational opportunities for kids to learn skills and awareness of how biking positively impacts their health, environment and lifestyle. The two major programs that we put on under Kids on Bikes are:
- Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Education Program – where we taught at 8 different Leon County Elementary Schools and reached about 5,000 3rd-5th graders to teach them properly Bicycle Traffic safety. We provide the bicycles, helmets and student intern instructors to help teach this course at the schools.
- Trips for Kids – we connect with local children groups such as the Boys and Girls Club and Boys Town (foster kids) and take these kids out on a fun mountain bike ride around Munson Hills and use bicycles as a vehicle for lessons in confidence building, achievement, health, and fitness. We’ve reached out to over 100 different kids this past year and even trained 19 Boys Town kids to ride in The Ride for Hope.
We Are Growing!
In the past year, we’ve connected with various groups to help support the Kids on Bikes program. Here is a quick run down of some of our bigger accomplishments:
- $5000 mini-grant from Share the Road (check out their awesome jersey!)
- 36 new bicycles and helmets donated by Price Waterhouse Cooper
- Leon County EMS obtained another Trailer of bicycles that we will be using to expand out Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Education Program
- $1200 grant from Trips for Kids to continue our Trips for Kids program.
We have big plans for the Kids on Bikes program, but we are currently held back due to funds and personnel. Here are some of our immediate goals:
- Reach all 25 Leon County Elementary Schools and teach all 3rd-5th graders the Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Program.
- Expand the Trips for Kids program to reach more children’s groups
- Repair and maintain the Kids on Bikes’s bicycle fleet (many bikes in need of major repair)
- Put on community bicycle rodeo events throughout Tallahassee.
- Help promote Junior Cycling
- Develop a Kids Mountain Bike League (a big goal, but it is done other parts of the country)