Hello fellow cyclists!
The weather was fine and we had a beautiful day at Maclay Gardens for the September 16th 2012 Capital City Cyclists annual club picnic! A special thanks to Jim Mann who lead the road ride, Karen Loewen who lead the off-roaders, and Jennifer Koch who handled drinks and food. After pedals where turned and food was consumed I had the opportunity to talk about the what the club has accomplished so far this year plus a preview of what is yet to come. For those that could not make it following is a recap:
- New website – you are here now so glad you could check it out 😉
- Successful 2012 TOSRV – big thanks to all the volunteers and Paul McManis. 2013 will be even bigger with both our classic routes and the introduction of a dirt road option. Mark your calendar as dates are set for 4/20 – 4/21 2013
- Publicly incorporated the Elementary Education program initiated by Ken Foster Florida Traffic and Bicycle Safety Education Program (FTBSEP) into the club as the Capital City Cyclists Kids on Bikes Program. This also includes Trips for Kids.
- Continued Advocacy
- National Bike Month activities – did you see the billboards in May? (big thanks to all volunteers and Karen Loewen)
- Filed for 501c3 – FedEx certified receipt by IRS on 7/26/2012 – IRS acknowledged receipt and that we should have word back in 90 days form 8/16.
- New logo – It was designed to give the club a more open and professional feel as we continue to grow our membership base and our non-profit services. Specifically we wanted a logo to represented the following key items:
- that we are clearly bicyclists – even at a glance,
- that we are open to all types of cyclists, and
- that showed our non-profit focus of getting kids on bikes.
- New jersey – on track for early October delivery (just in time for Spaghetti)
- Hired Jack Tomisetti as a part time Club Director to run our Kids on Bikes Program and Direct the 2012 Spaghetti 100
- Highest members count on record of over 470 and counting…
Closing out 2012
- Spaghetti 100 October 6th
- Christmas party
- November 11th Cycling Savvy Course – CCC and Commuter Services are sponsoring a series of Savvy Cycling classes for CCC Members, local Law Enforcement, and the general public. First class is in November and is free to CCC member who register early ($70 value!)
- 500 members!
- Help with 2012 Annual report (produce and distribute)
- Fundraising Director
- Writers and contributors to the Blog
- More recreational and neighborhood ride leaders
Plans for 2013
- 50 mile MTB Epic – Mid February 2013
- Bigger TOSRV with a dirt option – April 20th-21st 2013
- Expansion of the 35 Mile Challenge and the Tallahassee World Champion riders at Spaghetti 100 – October 2013
- New maps!
- The Tallahassee Cycling history project
- Club merchandise & gift items such as bumper stickers, water bottles, etc